Rank System For Children: Why is it important to have a rank system for children?
It’s very important to have a ranking system because children can be demotivated by the struggles of learning and getting better in Jiu Jitsu. They may not be able to see progress in technique, and enjoy the progress as adults do, because they don’t have the way of thinking that an adult BJJ practitioner has.
For this reason, the belt promotions make sense to keep the children motivated. And let them see their progress during their Jiu Jitsu journey. Compared to adults, children tend to be more motivated by being promoted more often and feeling the drive to train frequently.
Also, there is a big point of learning about hierarchy.
The belt system for children shows a strict hierarchy. Which they wouldn’t necessarily learn in other places. Also you can easily identify the skill level of a child just by looking at their belt.
Summed up it has been a discussion topic about whether a belt system is beneficial or disadvantageous. Considering that the belt system for children in Jiu Jitsu can actually help to educate. And keep the children motivated should be a good argument for the procedure of promoting kids.
We also use our “Behavior Stripes”
Our Six Blades Jiu Jitsu school, as part of a global approach towards our children’s development. Through martial arts which includes motor, physical, social and psychological skill, will incorporate the new grading criteria: “Behavior Stripes”
This system was developed to benefit the child and help motivate them to improve their habits and behavior outside our school. This system works in conjunction with parents to ensure that the kid meets the requirements of each color stripe. Six Blades Jiu Jitsu will provide a specific easy format form for each color stripe
The system consists of the following:
- The GREEN stripe represents “GOOD HABITS”: This is where the student is evaluated in a way where:
- They must try new food options. Based on family nutrition’s belief. (It is recommended that it be healthier food). In order to earn this stripes, students must try 5 different foods. And our school will facilitate a form where the parents will keep track of the kind of food and the date the kid tries it. Nutrition is very important because it helps to maintain the immune system elevated to combat any sickness. Especially in the challenging times we are living.
- Collaborate on maintaining our community clean (we will organize beach and park clean up day), take care of your home/school/building garden; recycling activities in general.
- Help your family to take care of your pet, if you have one.
- Maintain your personal hygiene (shower and teeth cleanness without questioning) and health with regular visits to dentist and doctors as per parents’ recommendation.
These will help create a very important and essential habit in the kid’s future.
- The YELLOW stripe represents “SOCIAL CONDUCT”: This stripe is to reinforce family habits and their behavior/attitude towards family and friends , inside and outside their house and also social activities. From making friends to dealing with disagreement, the ability to interact successfully with others is incredibly important. Children with strong social skills find it easier to establish good relationships and this has a positive impact on their wellbeing.
- The BLUE stripe represents “DISCIPLINE”: Six Blades Jiu Jitsu team will evaluate the student in how he/she understands the rules of our school and classes. Some elements to considerate towards earning the blue stripes are:
- Proper Use of Uniform: Clean Kimono, School Rash guard or T-shirt underneath of the Kimono, proper wearing form of the belt.
- Punctuality: be in class on time and ready to start sitting in a good posture (samurai style).
- Behavior & Collaboration: How the student behaves towards Professors, Instructors, Teammates before, during, and after class. The attitude they use, and how they respect others.
- The RED stripe represents “ACADEMIC BEHAVIOR & EFFORT”: There are many academic and personal behaviors necessary for student success that teachers, coaches, and parents instill in the students. Doing well in school is not all about good grades. Students need foundational skills in order to be successful students. Some examples are persistence, engagement, work habits, organizational skills, communication, collaboration, and self-regulation. These are skills that require growth over time. Encouraging students to improve their skills will prepare them for the future.
This system of stripes is an essential part that is accompanied by the physical aspects of their martial arts training. Thus, the child has a better chance to become a valuable human being with a successful future.
By complying with the 4 color stripes plus the 4 white stripes that are given with the evolution in the technical part. The child will be able to perform the Test to the next Belt, which consist of 40-80 questions, mobility exercises, self defense techniques and fight simulation one-on-one with our Instructors.
These forms can be returned 3 weeks after their first class (for new students) and 3 weeks after getting their new belt (for colored belt students).
Six Blades Jiu Jitsu is fully committed to the evolution and complete development of the student in all the necessary aspects that he needs to be successful in life. The Rank System For Children helps us achieve that goal!